CONTINUITY ON CALLS
We strive for continuity. This means if the In is a 2 day In, we expect you to do both days. There are times, when we are really busy and we need certain skill sets in a variety of places. If that happens, we will decide what will be best for the local and the customers.
WHY DID THEY GET THE JOB AND I DIDN’T
Another issue that is still cropping up for some people, is “why did so and so get that job and not me, I am equally qualified?”
- In about 80+% of the cases it is because “so and so” put it on their skills and you chose not to. So, please take the time and review your skills if you feel that you have been mistakenly passed over for something. For example: If you are a qualified Audio 1 in Overture Hall, but did not put down that you were a qualified Audio 1 in the Capitol Theater, when a Capitol Theater Audio 1 comes up, you will not get the call. So please review you skill list.
- You are already on a better call and we not going to waste both of our times to offer you something that pays less (given the information we have).
- You expressed a desire to do a different call.
- We missed catching that one call would be better than another for you. We work very hard at trying to catch every single call. It doesn’t always happen, because it is a clunky task. The program wasn’t designed for that, but it is something that our Local has chosen to do for its members. There will be misses occasionally, it is not a perfect system.
- There are times, when we are really busy and we need certain skill sets in a variety of places. If that happens, we will decide what will be best for the local and the customers.
- There is a possibility that there might not be enough time to make the switch. If there isn’t enough time to move you and then replace you on the call you originally had. We will make that decision on a case by case basis.
ANNOYING MESSAGES ABOUT JOBS YOU NEVER WORK
If there is a job you have absolutely no interest in doing, please remove it from your skills. Using myself as an example… I am qualified to work Expo and Change Overs, I generally only do them if we are short handed, so I did not put them as skills, thus I am not constantly getting messages about them.
INS AND OUTS
This seems to be a common issue for people. Nothing has changed. If you do the In, you are expected to do the Out, so you need to either accept both or decline both. They have to be sent as two separate calls, so that you have a record of the out time. So, if you can NOT do the OUT, please don’t accept the IN. However, if you are available for an In only or an Out only, please send me a message so that I can reset the proper decline… and make you available again for the other.
IS THERE ANYTHING WE CAN DO ABOUT FLOOD OF MESSAGES
The short answer is not really. Each call you accept has a message attached. What we have done recently, if we have enough time, is to give those people who are more likely to get the flood of messages a “heads up”. Either via text or e-mail, We tell them that the calls are about to be published and that they have a short leeway to get on before the messages are sent out.
HOW CAN I GET A “HEADS UP” THAT CALLS ARE POSTED?
Generally, we post them on our Facebook page IATSE Local 251
WHY ARE THERE DIFFERENT LENGTHS OF TIME TO CONFIRM/DECLINE?
Depends on how far out the call is. The general guideline we have worked with is … more than 2 weeks, you have 48 hours, a week to 2 weeks – 8 or 24 hours, Less than a week – 4 hours. Less than a day – it might be as short as 10 mins.
I CANNOT GET TO CALLSTEWARD IN TIME FOR THE DEADLINE, WHAT DO I DO?
You can respond to the text message sent you. Let me know when you can get to the program to confirm. Be sure to include YOUR NAME on the text. Don’t assume we will recognize your phone number.
LAST MINUTE CALLS
We will call down the list. It will generally be a phone call. We will NOT leave a message. The call will go to the first person who is available and has answered my call, or returned my call.
CAN I CANCEL MY CALLS ON CALLSTEWARD?
No. You have to contact us to cancel.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD I CONTACT YOU ABOUT WORK?
Or “squeaky wheel” syndrome. Multiple text messages, emails and phone calls about the same calls will NOT get you on the call quicker. We have chosen to be very transparent on Callsteward. You can easily see where we are on filling a call. The “Call Steward” position is not a full-time position. I also have to take work calls, so multiple calls about the same thing is mostly an annoyance and waste of time.
DO I NEED TO FILL OUT TAX PAPERWORK?
If you have to ask, I would say “yes”. If you haven’t worked for a specific employer in more than a year, be ready to fill it out. Local 251 has 5 main employers/payroll companies… Overture Center for the Arts, DP Processing (payroll company), Frank Productions, Valley Expo and the City of Madison. If you are working outside of Madison, you should assume you have to fill out tax paperwork. Check under “Useful Info” on the website for links to many of the tax paperwork.
CALENDAR ICS FILES
Call Steward offers a calandar.ics file you can use to subscribe to your personal calendar/schedule and use in your preferred calendar software. This is available after you log in and is listed at the top on the Preferences page.
Unfortunately, some calendar programs (like Google Calendar) make it unnecessarily hard for their users. They assume if there isn’t a time zone listed that it is UTC. So there are some extra hoops you have to jump through to use this functionality. There is an alternate feed available for those that experience this problem. In the URL, replace “calendar.ics” with “utc_calendar.ics” (leave the rest of the address intact) and the feed will now include a time zone.